Saturday, March 17, 2018

Three Fates - Romantic Suspense Review


Rating: Loved it!
Source: Purchased

Description:  
When the Lusitania sank, one survivor became a changed man, giving up his life as a petty thief—but keeping the small silver statue he lifted, a family heirloom to future generations. Now, nearly a century later, that priceless heirloom, one of a long-separated set of three, has been stolen. And Malachi, Gideon, and Rebecca Sullivan are determined to recover their great-great-grandfather’s treasure, reunite the Three Fates, and make their fortune. The quest will take them from their home in Ireland to Helsinki, Prague, and New York where they will meet a brilliant scholar who will aid them in their hunt—and an ambitious woman who will stop at nothing to acquire the Fates...

Genre: Romantic Suspense

Why I Picked This Book:
  I read this book years ago and really enjoyed it.  It'd been awhile since I read it so I figured it was time to give it another try.

My Impression: 
I have a small stack of books that makes up my reread shelf and every time I reread one it has to earn its place back on the shelf.  I hadn't read this one in years and so I wasn't quite sure where it would fall.  Pretty quickly in I knew it's place on the reread shelf was safe!  Nora Roberts typically has one stand alone and one trilogy a year.  Three Fates is kind of like a trilogy turned into a stand alone.  There's an ensemble cast of 6 and while the who ends up with who is not a surprise it's so much fun to watch it happen.  My favorite character overall was Tia Marsh.  She's from a wealthy family that owns an exclusive antique store and has for generations.  She herself has made a name for herself studying mythology and writing books but she's incredibly insecure and nervous and terrified of the world around her.  However, while many people easily dismiss her as unimportant it's really more that she's never given herself a chance.  Watching her find her strength and herself was thoroughly enjoyable.  The Sullivan siblings all play a big part of that.  Malachi, Gideon, and Rebecca Sullivan have turned their family fishing business in Cobh, Ireland into a tourist boat tours to where the Lusitania sank so long ago.  The Sullivan connection to the Lusitania sinking along with their connection to Tia's family is intriguing.  The siblings are all interesting people with different skills and different personalities.  Their mother, Eileen, plays a small but memorable role and adds moments of humor along with a calming presence.  Cleo Tolliver and Jack Burdett and the final members of the group.  Cleo is street smart with all kinds of walls and Jack is very savvy and very good and focused on running one of the best security firms in the world. Both have interesting connections to the Fates and add nicely to the team.  The six are on a mission to recover all three fates - a set of little silver statues - and more importantly, keep them out of Anita Gaye's hands all while keeping themselves safe.

Anita made for a pretty fantastic villain and it was easy to see how she fooled the people around her.  The mystery itself is page turning and I loved watching as everything unfolded.  My favorite component of the book was the relationships between the people themselves - not just the romance (which was nice) but the friendships as well.  I especially enjoyed watching Cleo and Tia develop a friendship.  If I had to name one flaw I'd say that the characters can be a little inconsistent.  Cleo, Tia, and Gideon are all well rounded and wonderfully fleshed out whereas Malachi, Jack, and Rebecca are a little more one dimensional.  It definitely didn't keep me from thoroughly enjoying my revisit of this book and it's definitely earned it's shelf space on the keeper shelf!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  I read pretty much anything that Roberts writes.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  I would if you're in the mood for romantic suspense.  Since this essentially three books in one some of the character development gets lost and the connections happen fairly fast.

6 comments:

  1. I read this book years ago. Not sure exactly when, but I do remember liking it a lot. I usually am not as big a fan of Roberts standalone books. However, Three Fates is an exception. May need to do a reread at some point before long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora Roberts is a brilliant writer still, but books like these that she wrote back in the day were my faves. Glad this one earned its way back to the re-read shelf! Hugs...and Happy Saturday! RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the three-books-in-one! I'm glad you love this one. I like it, though it's not one of my favorites because of the "compressed" feel and less character development than usual. Tia was my favorite character, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to have that special shelf. I don't think I have read this one of NR's. Nice to hear its back on the shelf. The best kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read several Nora Roberts and they have been hit or miss. This sounds really good. I may have to see about getting my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete