Friday, November 25, 2016

Carry on, Jeeves - Fiction Review

Carry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (Amazon link)

Rating: Very Good
Source: Library

Description:  A Gentleman of Leisure is a comic novel dedicated to Douglas Fairbanks--who starred in the film version; in Hot Water, J. Wellington Gedge is the man who has everything--but finds himself caught in a series of international events. Summer Moonshine involves a complicated love quadrangle and what is probably the ugliest home in England; and Carry On, Jeeves is a collection of stories in which Jeeves the charge and a familiar bevy of individuals appeal to him to solve their problems.

Genre: Fiction

Why I Picked This Book: I had heard about Jeeves but knew almost nothing about him.  This seemed like a fun way to get to know the characters.

My Impression: Jeeves is one of those characters whose name is so much a part of the vocabulary that I can't quite say where I first heard about him.  But to be honest I didn't know much about him other than that he was the quintessential butler.  I've been wanting to read P.G. Wodehouse for sometime as his name is frequently mentioned with the name of some of my favorite authors such as Agatha Christie.  So I was thrilled to discover that my library happened to have an audio of Carry On, Jeeve and I downloaded it immediately.  It wasn't quite what I expected - I think I expected more mystery but what I found was an absolute delight.  This volume consists of 7 short stories where poor Bertie is drug into one calamity after another while trying to help his friends.  Bertie always means well but the results lean towards the disastrous but luckily Jeeves is there to unobtrusively right the ship.
This short volume was originally published in 1925 and while the surroundings definitely come from that time period the language is so fresh and light that it doesn't feel dated.  It was really a fun book to listen to and one that I was sad to see end.  I definitely see building a collection of Wodehouse in my future.  I think Jeeves would be the perfect character to run too for some comfort reading.  My only complaint with this book was that the stories didn't really seem to connect together and didn't seem to have a connected timeline but while I might have liked it slightly more that way I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am anxious to read or listen to more.
Martin Jarvis did the narration on the edition that I listened to and I thought he did a fantastic job.  His voices felt spot on and I loved the contrast of Jeeves deeper calm almost monotone voice to Bertie's much more animated sometimes to the point of flustered voice.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Absolutely!  Especially if I could get any of the other stories in audio.  This was an absolute delight.

Would I Recommend this Book?: I would.  I think most readers would enjoy these stories.

7 comments:

  1. I read some of the Jeeves stories. I like them too. So quirky, and humorous in that glorious old school way. I should go back and start reading them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that it held up so well and that you are hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with this book or these stories. I have heard of Jeeves, at least. :-) I am glad you enjoyed this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that it didn't feel dated. This actually sounds like a lot of fun- between the somewhat frantic (if that's the right word) Bertie and the unflappable Jeeves. I think that would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one on my classics reading list for so long, I remember my dad reading this series when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure it's because Jeeves is basically a part of our vocabulary now like you said. I remember him enjoying it so maybe I should make an effort and give the series a try. I'm so glad you enjoyed the audio version and found a new author to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to try one of the Jeeves books - I'll put it on my audible list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I am so late to this post, but Blogger ate the comment I made when you first posted it and I forgot to come back. Ha ha. Talitha from Victorian Soul Critques loves this series, and I picked up an ebook when it was on sale. I don't recall which title it is though. I should be reading it shortly after the New Year. I am happy to see another blogger liking Jeeves. :)

    ReplyDelete