Monday, October 13, 2014

Going Home - Review


Going Home by Stacy Finz

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Source: NetGalley

Description:  Rhys Shepard thought he had left the town of Nugget, California in his dust and was working hard for a promotion at the Houston Police Department.  Until, he gets a call that his father isn't doing well.  A quick visit home quickly stretches into a longer stay as he ends up with a temporary job as police chief and siblings he didn't know existed.

Maddy Breyer is looking for away to start over and turning the old Lumber Baron mansion into a bed and breakfast seems the way to do it.  She was expecting unenthusiastic locals and a very attractive police chief.

But the town of Nugget has a history of helping people find exactly the kind of healing they need and Rhys and Maddy may end up finding the home they were looking for.

Genre: Fiction/Romance

Why I Picked This Book:  I have a hard time turning down a small town setting and thrown in an old mansion being restored and that's more than I can resist!

My Impression:
Pro:  The town is a fleshed out town with memorable characters.  It's hard not to like Nate, Mariah, Sophie and the rest of the Baker's Dozen.  Maddy is intelligent and nice with just enough self doubt and impulsiveness to make her seem real. Rhys has some serious baggage but there are also very clear reasons for it.  It's lovely to watch him realize that maybe he fits in this town he's been running from after all.   It was fun to watch him begin to connect with Lina and Sam and nice to watch Maddy really decide what direction her life is going to take.  I found the Donner Party history interesting and could relate to Maddy's interest in the people that it affected.  The history was a nice tidbit but was never overpowering.
Cons:  There was a lot going on in this book and to get everything wrapped up the end felt a little rushed.  Also because we are given so many interesting characters we lose a little connection with the main characters.
Overall:  This is a fun new romance/fiction series with really unique interesting characters.  I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes!  As I was reading the book I was thinking I wanted to see more of Rhys's friend Clay so I'm thrilled to see that book #2 will be about him.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, while it wasn't the most emotionally powerful book I've ever read it was an entertaining new entry into the small town genre.







6 comments:

  1. I can see why you like this one. I thin I'd like it too. The tie in to the Donner Party interests me in particular. Growing up, my family spent a lot of time in Donner Pass camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd definitely enjoy the Donner Party tie in. It was very interestingly done. I knew a little about this but she focuses more on the human aspect versus the horror aspect.

      Delete
  2. I definitely would read this if given the chance. Just something about it clicked with me, despite the rushed ending. I find that first books in a series are not always the best because of setting the scenarios up for us, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree about the setup issue with first books. I enjoyed this one and it definitely had a different feel to it then most contemps. Maybe less fluffy?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like my kind of book; good to know about the rushed ending.

    ReplyDelete