Monday, April 28, 2014

Attachments - Review

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Lincoln's job is to read other people's email.  He mindlessly does this issuing the required warnings until he comes across email exchanges between two women - Beth and Jennifer.  There conversations are entertaining and funny and he finds himself reading them without turning them in and looking forward to the next exchange.  When he finds himself falling for Beth he starts to realize what lines he's crossed.

Genre: Fiction

My Impression: Lately I've been doing my reviews divided in 3 parts - Pro, Con and Overall.  I don't think that's going to work with this book because my feelings aren't very clear cut about it.  I got it because Rainbow Rowell is one of those names I see everywhere and her book Eleanor & Park was on pretty much every list I've come across lately.  I guess I was expecting to be completely swept up in wonder by Attachments.  To start with it took awhile for me to be able to keep track of who Beth and Jennifer were.  Which one was the married one?  Which one was the movie reviewer?  Who was Lincoln interested in?  The emails were funny but the voices just weren't that different and the first part was mostly Instant Message so there was really no way to have character development.  I thought Lincoln was kind of an apathetic loser for quite awhile.  At about 30% completed I put the book down for about a week and it never crossed my mind which is never a good sign.  When I picked the book back up I was still thinking I didn't like it until all of a sudden I realized I did.  Lincoln getting his act together and developing a personality was kind of fun to watch.  I really enjoyed the ending.  It was a happy ending without everything being too easy.  There is some very dated tech talk (Y2K, Instant Messenger, Napster) but that didn't bother me - in some ways I thought it was kind of fun.  It reminded me of college when all that was really popular. It took me about a week to read 30% and then I read the rest in maybe 1 sitting.  While I didn't absolutely love it it was a fun read that I ended up enjoying even when I didn't expect too.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: I didn't think so after reading the first part but the rest of the book convinced me to give her other books a try.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Maybe.  I wouldn't go seek this one out but if you really love Rowell or come across it somewhere it's a fun read.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have read one other review that wasn't singing this book's praises. It sounds interesting from the premise, but it also sounds a bit confusing. I am glad it got better for you. I may have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete