Friday, August 30, 2013

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

Rating: 5 Stars

Description:  Mark Nolan is the oldest brother of an extremely dysfunctional family.  After his sister, Victoria, is killed in a car accident he finds himself the unlikely guardian of his niece, 6 year old Holly.  He and his brother do their best to give her as happy a childhood as they can but it isn't until they meet toy store owner Maggie that things really begin to improve.

Genre:  Romance

My Impression:  To be honest, the only reason I picked up this book is because of its length (211pg).  I needed another book to get me to my goal for this month and this one did the trick.  Once I started reading it, however, I loved it.  I'm not sure if I've ever read a contemporary Kleypas but I've always been a fan of her historicals.  Her ability to make memorable and likable characters carries over nicely.  I loved the Nolan family - even troubled Alex.  Maggie was one of favorite my Romance leads ever.  She's nice, she's quirky without being over the top, she's caring but she's a little damaged from her past.  My only complaint is that this is a very short book.  It's not quite a novella but it's definitely on the short side.  I would've been unhappy if I'd purchased it for full price.  Since I got it through paperbackswap.com it doesn't bother me too much.  My annoyance at not being able to spend much time with these characters is quickly put aside by the fact that this is book #1 in the series.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  Yes to both.  Very excited about this series and Kleypas is always a go-to author.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes even to people who don't read romance all that much.  

2 comments:

  1. I still need to find the last one of these, I liked the series so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much I liked this one. I've got #2 and #4 but still waiting on #3.

      Delete