Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Anne of Windy Poplars - Review



Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery

Rating: 5 stars

Description:  After graduating from Redmond College Anne takes a position as principal of Summerside High School while waiting for Gilbert to finish medical school.  Friends are made, adventures are had and challenges are overcome.  It's told in a combination of narrative and letters to Gilbert.

Genre:  Children/YA, Classic

My Impression:  When I first read this series this was my least favorite book.  I was ready for her and Gilbert to get married already.  I didn't reread it for probably close to 20 years because of that but was amazed how much I loved it when I picked it up again.  This is Anne at her best.  She is still Anne but her poetic way of speaking has been toned down.  The book has a good mix of touching stories and funny stories.  Also, if my memory serves me correctly, this is the last book that Green Gables plays a major role

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, this is my 2nd one this month and I'm about 50 pages into my 3rd one for the month.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, even to those who don't particularly care for Anne.

1 comment:

  1. I love this series so much. But like you, this particular book grew on me over time. In fact, I think my experiences as a teacher made me love it more than I did when I first read it... though there are some wonderful stories in it that have nothing to do with teaching.

    ReplyDelete